3rd bed Island Princess balcony 3-person cabin

BoopTennis

This is what the drop down 3rd bed looks like in a 3-person cabin on Island Princess (A603).  During the day, the bed is all the up in the ceiling, you can't even see it, in the evening the steward drops it down for use.  Next morning he stores it away in the ceiling again so it is not in the way.  The lower beds were still able to be made up in Queen configuration. It worked out very well, no fuss. There is a ladder to climb up to the upper bunk

enhance

enhance

enhance

I post these just because when we were booking this cruise and considering this option I was trying to find photos of what it might look like

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/8/2019 at 12:59 AM, BoopTennis said:

This is what the drop down 3rd bed looks like in a 3-person cabin on Island Princess (A603).  During the day, the bed is all the up in the ceiling, you can't even see it, in the evening the steward drops it down for use.  Next morning he stores it away in the ceiling again so it is not in the way.  The lower beds were still able to be made up in Queen configuration. It worked out very well, no fuss. There is a ladder to climb up to the upper bunk

enhance

enhance

enhance

I post these just because when we were booking this cruise and considering this option I was trying to find photos of what it might look like

Thank you for posting.  There just aren't enough photos of family setups in the cabins so I do appreciate your post. 

On 1/7/2019 at 5:59 AM, BoopTennis said:

enhance

enhance

enhance

Thank you!  I have struggled to find a photo.  Question how big is that pull down bunk? Is it designed for full grown person?  We are now traveling with a growing teenager and I'm starting to consider moving back to celebrity where there are more cabin classes with sofa sleepers -can. Travel more often if I'm not confined to mini suites or the itineraries Regal and her twins provide to go deluxe balcony....

'

We cruise all the time with three in a balcony. Our son is disabled and can't get up the ladder. We just ask for a roll away cot. It is tight but it works at night. It is rolled away in the morning, and put in the closet under the hanging clothes.

On 2/3/2019 at 2:08 PM, voljeep said:

does the ladder block the path to the bathroom during the night? :classic_blush:

One would assume that you get up in the night and move it to the temporary ladder position shown in the lowest photograph then walk through. Failure to return the ladder to the usable position for the person in the elevated bed will cause them to jump down onto the double waking those people up and them starting a discussion on who failed to put the ladder back.

Regards John

I asked my son who had the cabin. He said it was a minor inconvenience. They left the ladder hooked to the end of the upper bunk so their son could get down at night. But they were able to manuever around the ladder themselves to get to the bathroom. Everything was put away by the steward in the morning 

• 1 month later...

THANK YOU for posting this!!! It has been so frustrating looking for a photo of the drop down bed.  The closest I came was a YouTube Video but it was on the Star Princess

On 2/3/2019 at 9:38 AM, curlybelle2 said:

We cruise all the time with three in a balcony. Our son is disabled and can't get up the ladder. We just ask for a roll away cot. It is tight but it works at night. It is rolled away in the morning, and put in the closet under the hanging clothes.

Thank you for sharing this as well!  I had no idea that asking for a roll away cot was an option - the Princess rep never offered it.  Would you know if the roll away cot is just as comfortable to sleep in?  My husband is very tall and sleeps on that side of the bed so I might have to ask for the roll away cot for our 12 year old instead of the drop down bed.  Glad to know there's another option!  Thank you!

34 minutes ago, StrongMinded1 said:

THANK YOU for posting this!!! It has been so frustrating looking for a photo of the drop down bed.  The closest I came was a YouTube Video but it was on the Star Princess

Thank you for sharing this as well!  I had no idea that asking for a roll away cot was an option - the Princess rep never offered it.  Would you know if the roll away cot is just as comfortable to sleep in?  My husband is very tall and sleeps on that side of the bed so I might have to ask for the roll away cot for our 12 year old instead of the drop down bed.  Glad to know there's another option!  Thank you!

I am sure they did not offer it because.......

Usually the roll away is only used in certain cabins.

I don't believe you can just ask for one onboard.

I would call Princess and verify.

We have booked a cabin a few times where the roll away was used as either the 3rd or 4th berth.

For us it was always in a balcony room.

IMO it is a huge safety issue as it takes up the majority of floor space at night.

In a balcony cabin it is jammed up against the balcony door when it it is opened up.

Yes it is folded up and stored behind the curtain at the balcony door during the day.

It is extremely uncomfortable!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, StrongMinded1 said:

Hi

We just got back from a cruise on Regal. (2/24)  I had called Princess before hand to request a roll away. When we got on the ship the room steward had no knowledge  of my request. She was unsure if she could get us a rollaway. I was surprised by this since we had one for three other cruises. She came back and said she can get one. At evening time she had it all set up!

For us, we don't have an option since our son can't get up the ladder. The rollaway cot doesn't look every comfortable. It works for DS because he is only 130lbs and 5'2''. I full grown man would be very uncomfortable! 

It is hard to get to the sliding door on the balcony in the night with the cot out. But during the day it is put away in the closet area. We just have our clothes hanging over it.  It works great for us.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you for the details colo cruiser and curlybelle2!  When my DH and DD got home and I showed them the drop down bed and mentioned your comments, they both agreed that the drop down bed was "really cool" and neither was concerned about the headroom or the ladder.  Likely because I'll probably be the "height challenged" one sleeping under it and I'm the one that gets up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom!  But that's ok.  I'm good with the extra floor space and balcony access.  

Thanks again for your help and Curlybelle2, I'm so glad to hear that they accommodated your son's needs on your recent sailing!

1 hour ago, StrongMinded1 said:

Thank you for the details colo cruiser and curlybelle2!  When my DH and DD got home and I showed them the drop down bed and mentioned your comments, they both agreed that the drop down bed was "really cool" and neither was concerned about the headroom or the ladder.  Likely because I'll probably be the "height challenged" one sleeping under it and I'm the one that gets up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom!  But that's ok.  I'm good with the extra floor space and balcony access.  

Thanks again for your help and Curlybelle2, I'm so glad to hear that they accommodated your son's needs on your recent sailing!

You are welcome.

Just make sure when you book that the cabin is not one where the rollaway is provided for one of the berths.

Verify that it does in fact have the drop down berth.  

7 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

You are welcome.

Just make sure when you book that the cabin is not one where the rollaway is provided for one of the berths.

Verify that it does in fact have the drop down berth.  

Yes, it does.  I just got off the phone with Princess a little while ago.  Weird thing though - the reason I called is because on my booking, the only bed option is twin, not queen.  The Princess rep told me that the reason is because with the third person in our room, the ladder for the upper bunk has to come down BETWEEN the beds for "SAFETY REASONS".  But based on the photos shared by the OP, I plan on just pushing the darn twins together to make the queen.  No way I'm paying all that money and not snuggling up with my DH!  How crazy is that!  So my next question is.. In anyone else's experience, did the cabin steward respect the request to do the queen like in the OP's photo? HELP!

Thanks,

Josie

5 minutes ago, StrongMinded1 said:

Yes, it does.  I just got off the phone with Princess a little while ago.  Weird thing though - the reason I called is because on my booking, the only bed option is twin, not queen.  The Princess rep told me that the reason is because with the third person in our room, the ladder for the upper bunk has to come down BETWEEN the beds for "SAFETY REASONS".  But based on the photos shared by the OP, I plan on just pushing the darn twins together to make the queen.  No way I'm paying all that money and not snuggling up with my DH!  How crazy is that!  So my next question is.. In anyone else's experience, did the cabin steward respect the request to do the queen like in the OP's photo? HELP!

Thanks,

Josie

That is their standard reply about the beds for liability reasons.

Just ask Stewart! There should not be an issue.

• Thanks 1

hi, i started this thread, i had read about you had to have the twin configuration with a drop down bed, but when we got there, the lower beds were already made up as a queen! It never seemed to be a problem.  I think we designated queen config in the Personalizer and the steward just made it up that way and kept it that way.